Hands for the Virtual World
StretchSense is on a quest to ensure everyone has the opportunity to play, create, socialise, collaborate, work, and connect in virtual worlds. Hands are the key to unlocking this. Our hand tracking solution uses our own sensor technology combined with a machine learning pipeline is the best in the market. Our first product is a stretchable motion capture glove that accurately digitises finger movement to animate characters in movies, games, or drive metahumans in virtual worlds.
We are looking for senior and intermediate firmware, electronics and mechatronics engineers to work on circuit hardware and firmware design for our gloves. You will be designing PCB layouts for compact, high performance and low power wireless glove electronics including haptics, tracking and logging functionality, implementing and maintaining the firmware in these modules, and working with the production process and QC team to ensure circuit reliability in production.
The role is ideal for someone with a Mechatronics/EE/CompSci background that is experienced with embedded systems and wireless wearable devices. You will be working in a multi-disciplinary team of software and firmware developers that are responsible for Hand Engine and interfacing with our glove hardware, controlling, configuring and calibrating the glove output and streaming fully solved hand data into animation and virtual reality environments.
We are a funded company of 50+ employees, with R&D/Manufacturing in NZ, and a presence in both USA and UK.
The responsibilities of this role will include:
- Working with the Product, Hardware and Software teams to define requirements for our hardware modules.
- Scoping and evaluating new sensing, haptic and tracking technologies for enhancing immersion.
- Designing and building compact wearable hardware.
- Actively seeking out opportunities to improve existing designs and implementations
- Define and build test systems to qualify new system designs
- Implementing proprietary algorithms and hardware interfaces in firmware.
- Working with the Production and QC teams to ensure your hardware is robust and reliable.
- Work with the Hardware team to create insight into physical product design.
A successful applicant will have:
- A passion for technology and being at the cutting edge of development.
- 5-10 years experience in embedded system design and implementation.
- A systematic and methodical approach to hardware and firmware debugging.
- Expertise in C and C++ for embedded environments.
- A hands-on approach to solving technical issues.
- Experience with circuit design for low power applications.
- Detailed knowledge of Bluetooth standard and implementation.
Experience working with wireless wearable devices will be an advantage, with work on hardware for immersive experiences even more so.
You must have the right to work in New Zealand.
StretchSense (Sensor Holdings Ltd) has applied for, but not yet received, accreditation with Immigration New Zealand.
We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age.